Using iMessage on Android has long been a dream for many users who are stuck with the limited SMS/MMS messaging when texting iPhone users. But thanks to a new app called Beeper Mini, Android users can now enjoy a seamless iMessage experience right from their Android device.
What Is Beeper Mini?
Beeper Mini is an app developed by Beeper that allows Android devices to use iMessage. Here are some key things to know about it:
- It provides a native iMessage experience on Android, including blue message bubbles, read receipts, typing indicators, tapbacks, full-resolution photo/video transfer, etc.
- No Apple ID required – it works by assigning you a new phone number that connects to iMessage.
- Fully encrypted and secure. The messaging happens directly between devices.
- Easy to set up. Just download the app, and you’re good to go.
While Beeper Mini doesn’t officially port iMessage, the user experience is extremely close to native iMessage and much more seamless compared to previous attempts.
How to Set Up Beeper Mini
Setting up Beeper Mini to use iMessage on your Android device only takes a few minutes. Follow these steps:
- Download Beeper Mini from the Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Open the app and sign in with your Google account when prompted.
- Choose a profile picture to represent you in iMessage conversations.
- Allow access to SMS so Beeper Mini can import your existing conversations.
Beeper Mini will now connect your device to iMessage using your phone number. You’ll see your conversations switch to blue bubbles instantly.
Use iMessage Features on Beeper Mini
Once set up, you’ll be able to use most iMessage features seamlessly right from your Android device:
- Blue bubbles – Your messages will now send as blue bubbles when texting other iPhone users.
- Read receipts – See when your messages have been read.
- Typing indicators – See when the other person is typing.
- Tapbacks – React to messages with tapback emojis.
- Full-resolution photo/video transfer – Media will transfer without compression.
- GIFs, stickers – Send GIFs and stickers to iPhone users.
- Encryption – End-to-end encryption for privacy.
- Group chats – Seamless group messaging with iPhone users.
The only limitations are no support for full-screen animations, FaceTime, or iMessage app games. But it’s an otherwise complete iMessage experience.
Sign in With Your Apple ID (Optional)
By default, Beeper Mini works by assigning your device a new phone number for iMessage. However, you can optionally sign in with your Apple ID to unlock additional features:
- Use your Apple ID email address in conversations
- Sync messages across multiple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac)
- Unsend messages within 2 minutes
Keep in mind this gives Beeper access to your iCloud account, so it introduces additional privacy considerations. But it provides closer integration with your main Apple ID if desired.
Main Limitations or Missing Features of Beeper Mini:
- No support for full-screen animations (e.g. balloons filling up the screen for birthdays)
- No FaceTime audio or video calls
- No support for iMessage apps and games
- No ability to use an email address (without signing in with Apple ID)
- No syncing across devices (without signing in with Apple ID)
- No option to unsend messages within 2 minutes (without signing in with Apple ID)
- Some limitations around animated stickers (e.g. not working as inline replies)
Pricing for Beeper Mini
Beeper Mini offers:
- 7-day free trial
- $2/month subscription
Android users can also get a 30-day free trial by using an invite code from an iPhone user. So, it’s relatively affordable to try out.
Being able to use iMessage on Android devices has long been a coveted feature. Thanks to the ingeniously simple Beeper Mini app, Android users can now enjoy native blue bubbles, Tapbacks, read receipts, and more when messaging friends on iOS.
The app delivers an incredibly smooth cross-platform messaging experience that should make communication between iPhone and Android users far less fragmented. If you’ve been jealous of iMessage, Beeper Mini is absolutely worth installing on your Android device.