All of us want to indulge in the latest trends and functionalities, especially when it comes to our smartphones. If you are currently stuck with the Android 5.1 version and want to upgrade to the Android 6.0 version, chances are that the same will contribute to data loss.
So, when you are indulging in the upgrade process, there are certain factors that you need to be mindful of. The Android 6.0 Marshmallow is available across all the leading smartphone brands like Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, and even Nexus and the latest models.
However, since we are currently at Android 12 OS in the majority of the latest Android smartphones, it isn’t surprising that not many users are aware of what Android 6.0 Marshmallow does or the kind of features it brings along with itself.
Start by Backing Up your Personal Data
As we said, when you upgrade to the Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS from your previous 5.1 version, chances are that the upgrade will wipe out all your data from the device that you are currently using.
So, your first step before installing the Android 6.0 OS is to ensure that you backup all of your data so you don’t have all your important data from the smartphone wiped out.
Backing up the data to a memory card or even your PC ensures that you can restore the data later once the Android has been upgraded. Also, if you are thinking that the upgrade process will be confusing and prolonged, that’s not the case at all. In fact, with the right device and data, you shouldn’t have any issues with the backup process.
Ways to Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow to Your Smartphone
Ideally, there are two distinct ways in which you can install the Android 6.0 Marshmallow to your smartphone and then enjoy the latest features and functionalities.
We have two distinct options for the installation process that we’d like to highlight. These include:
Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow via OTA
OTA or Over the air update is one that you can directly do from the settings on your smartphone. It is a fairly simple process that takes a few minutes to complete.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Unlock your smartphone and then open Settings
- Under that, find the “About Phone” option and then navigate to “Software Update” and click on it to check for the latest available version.
- If you have any pending software updates that you haven’t done before, you need to sort that out first before you can go ahead and install the new Android 6.0 Marshmallow update.
- Once you have installed the latest Android 6.0 update, your smartphone will reboot and then restart.
Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow via factory image
Another way by which you can install the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update is by forcing your Android via the factory image. It is a risky procedure, one that might erase all your existing data on the smartphone. So, before anything, make sure that you back up all the relevant data that you have available.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Start by downloading and installing the latest Android SDK on your Windows PC
- You then have to add the Android SDK file in the following path – My computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > System properties > Advanced > Environment variables
- Following that, you need to enable USB debugging
- Download the factory image to your desktop or Windows laptop and then connect the same to your Android device using a USB cable
- You then have to put your smartphone into fast boot mode. You can do the same by holding down the volume rockers and power button.
- Under the command terminal of your computer, type in and execute “flash-all.bat”. This will download the relevant OS files to your phone.
- You will then have to lock the smartphone’s bootloader to ensure optimal security.
As you can see, the second procedure is not only complicated, it imposes a lot of risks of data deletion. So, try the first method for safe-upgrade and installation.
Upgrading and installing the Android 6.0 marshmallow is not as complicated a process as you think. With a few simple steps, you should be able to go through the upgrade process without any hassle. Just ensure that you backup all your data and restore them once the new operating system has been upgraded and installed.
Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow FAQs
Is Android 6.0 functional?
Currently, most Android smartphones run on the Android 12 version of the operating system.
How do I back up my data before upgrading?
You can use a USB cable to connect the Android phone and transfer the data to a computer or SD card for safekeeping.
Is the Android 6.0 worth it?
Upgrading to the Android 6.0 comes with its set of new features but Android has better OS variations available.